Chocomint Blossoms, adapted from Better Home and Garden
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Peppermint-swirl kisses or milk chocolate kisses
- In a large bowl cream butter and shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, cocoa powder, and baking powder. Beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, milk, and peppermint extract until combined. Next add the flour. Cover & chill about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Shape dough into 1.25 inch balls, I use the Easy Roller for this since up to 21 can be rolled at a time. Place balls 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are firm.
- Immediately press a candy kiss into the center of each cookie. Transfer to wire racks; cool.